Community Supported Agriculture
A CSA is basically a partnership between local food producers and the community–members buy a share of the “harvest” for a season. This is delivered weekly in the form of a food basket filled with a variety of seasonal vegetables, fruit, and herbs.
We are starting a CSA in the Waikato as a community-led initiative. A diverse group of people have come together to bring the idea to life. All are welcome to participate in the CSA as a food producer or consumer.
Benefits of a CSA:
- local and healthy food,
- increased connection to others in the community,
- increased sense of belonging to place,
- support the local economy and local food producers,
- increased income and employment opportunities
- mitigate climate change and environmental pollution,
- a collaborative and inclusive win-win paradigm
- re-connection with traditional food production methods
There will be regular meetings and gatherings held on the first Saturday of each month to build and keep the momentum of this initiative. Everyone is welcome to bring a dish to share at the potluck and stay on for some fun and engaging networking, workshop, presentation, or short films on the topic of community and agriculture.
The next gathering will on 7 October at 6:30 at the Go Eco Centre at 188 Commerce St.
Contact Samantha for more information